Production: Romeo & Juliet End Grain Teak Cutting Boards

 We love making cutting boards and experimenting with different woods and styles. I decided to make Romeo & Juliet Cutting Boards out of  End GrainTeak. 

I asked my son-in-law to 3D print me templates with a heart. 

I then cut strips off the Teak with our SawStop.

We then, painstakingly, played with the end grain patterns until we were satisfied. And glued the strips together. Although, it's not required, I leave the glue-up for at least 24 hours. (And, no, I don't have enough clamps.)

After removing the clamps, I scraped off the glue squeeze out with a card scraper.

With most of the squeeze out removed, I sanded the remainder of the glue off the board with the orbital sander.

With the glue removed, I sanded the board even with the drum sander.



The board even across it's width and length, we outlined the Romeo & Juliet boards with the 3D prints and cut them out with the band saw.



We used our drill press and forstner bit to drill the handle holes. We then sanded the edges and holes with our oscillating sander. The edges were rounded with the hand router. 

Then the fun began. We sanded, and sanded, and sanded. We started with 40 grit and went all the way to 240 grit. 

The grain was raised with a squirt of water and the final sanding was accomplished with the 240 grit.

The boards were then soaked with food grade mineral oil. I love this step as it pops the colors. Romeo & Juliet cutting boards - $150.00 plus shipping.



We made coasters and mini cutting boards out of the left over Teak.

The four coasters together are end grain. The other two are face grain. These are sold.



 I use my mini (bagel) cutting board daily, so I was excited to make these available. The first two pictures are top and bottom of a face grain Teak and Cherry mini (bagel) board. The remaining pictures are top and bottom of  face grain Teak mini (bagel) boards - $20.00 ea plus shipping. (total of 4 available)








These were a fun build. To see future builds, please follow us on our Wood-N-Stuff Workshop Facebook page.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Production: Wall Hangings